Eggbuckland History Project

 Home
 Intro
 Potted History
 Name Derivation
 FactBox!
 Domesday Record
 Church
 Project Contact
 Photographs
 Maps
 .Message Board
  > Write!
  > Read!
 Links
 
 Visitor No:  10270
  FactBox

Below is a list of random facts about Eggbuckland's Past!


  • Eggbuckland Keep and Bowden Battery were the last forts to be built in the UK.


  • In 1851 there was a reservoir at Crownhill.


  • Widey Court was built by the Yeoman Hale during the Elizabethan prosperity.


  • Eggbuckland appears on John Spry's plot of Drake's Leat in 1547.


  • There were saltworks in the Forder valley until Medieval times, this flowed onto an alluvial meadow 1/4 of a mile from the church.


  • Eggbuckland is claimed to have been a Domesday settlement at the head of the Plym creek.


  • Eggbuckland was originally the third largest estate in Plymouth.


  • In 1896 part of Eggbuckland Civil parish was added to Charles Civil parish.


  • The Prince Maurice Pub is over 350 years old.


  • In 1281 the manor of Eggbuckland was owned by Robert Gyffard.


  • The first part of the present church was built in 1430.


  • The church's registers date from 1653.


  • King Charles stayed in Widey Court in 1644.


  • The church was enlarged in 1864 at the cost of 1,800.


  • During 1850 there were 1297 residents in the parish of Knackersknowle(Crownhill and Eggbuckland).


  • Sir Francis Drake built two corn mills at Widey in 1590.


  • The church clock is rewound twice a week.


  • The clock in the church tower was installed in 1901.



Designed by DB Creations   |   Last Modified on Tuesday 17th October 2017.