A Governor was appointed in 1819 to administer the five Parish work
houses situated at the north of the church.
The pinnacles of the church were rebuilt in 1864 and the church was enlarged
with the building of the north aisle and chancel. The clock was
installed in 1901 in memory of Charles Turner who had been Vicar for 40
In 1906 the new church vestries were completed, including a new organ
chamber and other improvements.
1914 saw the Consecration of the new
church at Laira (St Mary the Virgin), replacing the Crabtree Mission
Church (which had opened in November 1874). The new building was a
daughter church of St Edward's and stayed within the parish until
1931(when the city boundaries were redrawn).
Below is a 360o
degree view from the church tower:
(Please be patient for the picture to load, click and drag to move
left and right!)